Doing Business in Bed, when Sick & on Vacation
- How often do you check your work email?
- Every day? Every couple hours? Every hour?
As internet access becomes more available everywhere from cafes to bookstores to the booming smartphone market, checking email has become almost second nature for most individuals.
A recent survey by Harris Interactive conducted in the US and in the UK, showed that for Americans, 72% of the people check work email during non-business hours, 19% check emails in bed, and a whopping 50% of the people check email during vacations or day off.
Here are some of the US emailing stats laid bare:
- 72% of people check work email during non-business hours
- 19% check email in bed (21% of men, 16% of women, 31% of 18-34 year olds)
- 50% check email during vacations and days off
- 42% of Americans check work email when sick at home (26% in UK)
Of those checking on non-business hours:
- 27% check because they are expected to provide quick responses (20% in UK)
- 37% are afraid they may miss something important (45% in UK)
How often do you check work email?
About The Email Survey
This survey was conducted online within the United States by Harris Interactive on behalf of Xobni from August 5th to 9th, 2010 among 2,200 adults ages 18 and older. This online survey is not based on a probability sample and therefore no estimate of theoretical sampling error can be calculated.