Average American watches 153 Hours of TV & online 68 Hours per Month
A new report for the Nielsen Company reported that in September 2009, the average U.S. Internet user spent approximately 68 hours online per month. The figure may not seem all that staggering, but consider this: The average American watches 153 hours of television per month (1Q 2009) [Nielsen’s A2M2 Three Screen Report].
2 Hours per day online. 3 Hours per day TV. Just between those two mediums that is 5 hours per day spent in front of a TV or a cruising the internet. An average American is also exposed to an hour worth of TV ads every single day! Everyone should be familiar with how the media influences and shapes our views both from childhood and throughout our adulthood. Whether it is overall happiness or direct issues such as sex and pregnancy, media has such a power influence on our outlook on life. Thus the rising trend of media engagement is very alarming.
Online Usage Statistics – 68 Hours Per Month? How?
Online Usage Statistics – Where are users going?
Online Users visits almost 2700 websites and spends about a minute per site. The average user spent 1 hour and 53 minutes a month on Google and 3 hours and 8 minutes on Yahoo. Users also average 5 hours and 24 minutes on Facebook.
Media Consumption up across the board
Ameericans are also increasing in their media consumption across most mediums. Hours spent watching TV is at an all time high. 153 hours in 1Q and 141 Hours in 2Q – both all time highs compared to past years. The number of people watching mobile video is up 70% from last year.
Other Interesting Media Consumption Facts and Trends
- Average U.S. home in 2009 has 2.5 people but 2.86 television sets.
- 54% of American homes had 3 or more TV sets at home.
- Mobile video viewing has increased 70% in 2009 versus 2008.
Let us know your thoughts!
- What are your first thoughts about the sheer number of ours spent watching TV and on the internet?
- Do you find this alarming as well?
- How long do you think it will take for Internet Use to Catch up to TV?
- What media medium do you use the most? How many hours are you on the Internet?